Moving to another state, Understand Medicare Supplement Plans changes

Have you got transfers in your job and are expected to move to a new state or have you moved just now? It may seem as too many question in your busy time, but there are a few tasks you must make sure that goes smoothly without interruption such as the Social Security and Medicare benefits.


What coverage does Medicare have?

If you are a resident of the United States, it means including the U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, Guam, you are fortunate as you can retain the same Part A and B Original Medicare coverage.  But, if you are moving to some other state, there is a need to notify the health-care providers so that the medical records are transferred.


If you also have Medicare Supplement Plans policy or Part D Medicare for prescription drug plan, apart from the benefits of Original Medicare, you must know how it may affect your plans with your address change.


Moving to another state

In case you are enrolled with Medicare Supplement Plans or Part D Medicare Prescription Drug plan and now have a residence change means you are moving to another state, you can qualify for SEP, a Special Election Period. During this period, you are permitted to get enrolled into a new plan available in your new service area.


In case you are moving permanently to a place that is not covered by Medicare supplement plans means it is not in the service area. If so, immediately tell your plan and notify before you are moving from this place. This is because the timeframe for SEP is for four months and starts from the first month before you move and lasts for three months after you move. On notifying your plan after moving, you are permitted even to switch plans from the month you have given the moving notice and this can be done after and up to two months.


You can switch to new Medicare Supplement Plans or to Prescription Drug Medicare Plan during this moving period to a new service area. However, you also have the choice if you prefer to return to the Original Medicare.


You have Medicare Supplement plans?

If you have now Medicare Supplement plans for 2019 and this plan is not available in the new area, then your Medicare plan should be disenrolled.  In case you fail to enroll during your SEP into a new Medicare Supplement Plans, you will return to Part A and B Original Medicare.

However, if you have already moved and the SEP period is over means you need to wait for October 15 to 7 December, the Annual Election Period to get enrolled.